Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Grandma Yoder


Late Saturday night, Mom called to tell me some news I had been anticipating. That evening, while Mom and her sisters, and their husbands, surrounded Grandma, she passed away. The emotional reaction that followed was something I had not anticipated. Grandma was finally free of her body bound by dementia and had moved on to be reunited with Grandpa in heaven. She had talked for some time about being "ready". Yet I struggled with the news. As the tears came, I thought about the Grandma I grew up with. I thought of the slumber parties she hosted. I thought of her ever present smile and her bubbly giggle. Even after the dementia had affected her personality, I would still get to hear her giggle as she held Morgan and watched her play during our visits. I thought of her kind spirit. I can honestly say that I never heard her say anything negative about anyone - I don't think I can say that about anyone else I know. So we had say good-bye to Grandma. Although it isn't easy, I am happy knowing she is free of all that was binding her earthly body, and that she is reunited with Grandpa who died over 30 years ago.

I love you Grandma!

No comments: